Monday, September 25, 2006

Well, since I'm up...

So, I've been up since 5, when I didn't have to be awake till about 6. Oh well. So yeah, lets see if I can tell you everything I promised to tell you before. I got a job. A good job. A $15 an hour job. Those are rare I hear. I'm basically the assistant to the owner of a construction company. I make faxes, copies, invoices, and call people and ask them about things that I know nothing about. It's actually a cool job because I'm basically the only employee and my boss is crazy nice. Like, pick me up everyday nice so I don't have to take the MetroNorth at an ungodly hour. Also, he buys me lunch sometimes, which is beyond nice. So yeah, I also have to learn how to drive, because that is going to be part of the job soon. I'm pretty excited about that, because I've always wanted to learn but I never needed a reason before, seeing as there is public transportation everywhere in the city. He'll even give me a car to use when needed, so yeah, like I said, super duper nice.

Alright, next topic. 9/16/2006. Mark it down people. It is the date of ROH's best show ever. Now, I'm not just saying this because it was my first live event. This sentiment is being echoed by many ROH fans on there message boards, so yeah, it's a very big deal. Seriously, almost all of the matches could have been main events on any other wrestling show for any other promotion. I say any other promotion because ROH has seriously reached a level of prestige that I have not seen in a wrestling company ever in my life. First of all, they had the honor of hosting a GHC Heavyweight title match. The GHC title is Japans biggest wrestling title. 9/16 was the very first time it was defended outside of Japan and it was the very first defense by the newly crown GHC champion, Marufuji Naomichi. He was defending it against one of the best pure wrestler in the world, Nigel McGuinness. The match was off the charts awesome. Everything about it was executed perfectly, and it is no wonder why the GHC committee allowed ROH to host the very first GHC Heavyweight title match that took place outside of Japan. Now, with all of that said, that was just the first out of the two main events. The second main event was Bryan Danielson defending the ROH World Heavyweight championship against Japans own KENTA. Yeah, that's right, the ROH belt was defended AFTER the GHC belt. That's so major, you guys don't even know. Anyway, some background information on the two. KENTA has been a semi-regular in ROH this year. He came in for one show in 2005 and was so impressed by the talent and the crowds that he decided to tour with ROH for a while in 2006. KENTA is one of the stiffest workers in Japan. What I mean by that is that when he kicks someone, he fucking KICKS someone. I have cringed many a time watching KENTA matches. They are beyond brutal. Anyway, KENTA has been touring with ROH and during that time, he has gotten three different wins against Bryan Danielson, all in non-title matches of course. His main finisher is called the GO 2 Sleep, which is basically him picking you up on his shoulders, throwing you in mid-air and kneeing you in the face as you return to Earth. It's quite the sight and it has legitimately knocked out many contenders before. Now, Bryan Danielson. There is so much one can say about him but I don't have that kind of time. He is 25 years old, has basically toured the wrestling world and is considered by many in the know as THE best wrestler in the world. Not one of the best, THE best. Imagine being 25 and being the best at anything. So yes, Bryan Danielson, best wrestler in the world and current ROH champion. Recently, Danielson has been on a roll. He's been defending his belt in 2 out of 3 falls matches, that ALL went to the 60 minute time limit. In one weekend, he wrestled 180 minutes. There was a price to pay to say the least. In his last 60 minute, 2/3 falls match, he seperated his shoulder 10 minutes into the match. Not wanting to dissapoint the fans, he wrestled for 50 minutes with a fucking seperated shoulder. I can't even comprehend how someone could do anything like that. So coming into 9/16, he's facing a man who has beaten him on 3 seperate occasions, with an injured shoulder. Everyone thought the match would not be as good because they thought that KENTA might go easy on the shoulder or Danielson just might not be as good. Those people don't know Danielson and KENTA. The guys put on 30 minutes of the most intense, believeable wrestling I have ever seen in my life. Now, I said believeable because I know that wrestling is pre-determined and I still watch it. I'll explain why I do in another post, because shit this is going on for a while, but yeah, I understand that it's pre-determined, but on 9/16, at 11 pm, all of that went out the window. I completely got lost in the match. I was on my feet the whole time, cheering on Danielson like nobodys business, and literally jumped up and yelled "FUCKING RIGHT DANIELSON" when he made KENTA tap out at about 38 minutes. I'm usually a quite man, unless I'm playing Halo, as many people can attest to, but that night, that match, something happened. I saw history in the making that night, and I am so glad I was able to attend what was the best show ROH has put on in it's illustrious 4 years of business. It was the best night of my life.

No comments: